I photograph intimate weddings for independent couples.
To me intimacy in relationships is such a beautiful thing. When I think of my relationship with my wife its that closeness, that quiet togetherness that I think really defines us. Of course we laugh with each other and we can be silly and loud together but I find that the moments where I really sit back and appreciate all that we have together are those quiet moments of just being with one another. Those moments where I look around, whether we’re sitting by a campfire or cuddled on the couch, and think this is all I need.
Its peace, its contentment, its deep love in a moment.
As a wedding photographer, I thrive on weddings where intimacy plays a big part. And I don’t mean just small elopements, though those are by definition, intimate. I mean weddings where not everything is scripted; where there is time for people to just relax and enjoy the company of their loved ones. Its bonfires and lawn games and mountain views. Its laughter and dancing because you feel like it, not because you should. And its taking time to wander off together as a couple, either with your photographer or without.
In celebration of my love for intimate weddings, I’ve compiled a short list of my favorite Colorado Intimate Wedding Venues. These venues were chosen because they provide the atmosphere I listed above. Some are secluded, others just off the main path, but they all allow couples to build the intimate wedding of their dreams.
In no particular order:
1. Lyons Farmette – their tagline, “here’s to good food and good company” perfectly sums up what they’re all about. Just off the highway in Lyons, CO is a quaint little farmette that offers fresh flowers, dinner under the market lights, and cozy spaces to hang out but the river.
2. River Bend at Lyons – on the other side of the highway in Lyons, CO is a sprawling grassy field by a beautiful river. Larger than the Lyons Farmette, but no less intimate, River Bend offers an outdoor dance floor and fire pit. Perfect for an evening of mingling and toasting with friends. (bottom 2 photos taken while 2nd shooting for Chris Loring Photography).
3. Piney River Ranch – situated above 10,000 feet in the mountains surrounding Vail, CO, Piney River Ranch is a trek to get to. But its so so worth it. Nestled next to a glacial lake, the venue features awe-inspiring views, hiking trails, canoes, lakeside cabins and tents. You can even rent out all the cabins and tents for your guests to stay in. Plus, if you’re lucky the resident moose might make a lakeside appearance (middle photo taken while 2nd shooting for Candice Benjamin Photography).
4. Highland Haven Creekside Inn – Nestled by a river in Evergreen, CO, Highland Haven specialized in small intimate weddings and elopements. While the property is not large, there are quiet nooks in the trees around every corner. The staff on site is wonderful and always so excited to celebrate with their couples (image below taken while 2nd shooting with Maureen Cassidy).
5. Midnight Ranch – If you drive north out of Steamboat Spring, CO, towards the Wyoming border you’ll find your way to Midnight Ranch. The sprawling property features cabins (the perfect backdrop for family to spend the weekend with you in the mountains), wide open fields with views of a 14,000 foot peak, and places for friends to pitch a tent and sleep under the stars.
6. Eureka Lodge – If you love the Rocky Mountains, you’re going to LOVE the San Juan mountains. This lodge, nestled in the San Jan Mountains near Silverton, CO is a privately owned historic mining hotel. The ceremony spot offers sweeping views of the mountains and the lodge and is perched on the edge of a river gorge (photos below taken while 2nd shooting for Chris Loring).